QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 2610|回复: 1

泰国反对党领袖: DR ANEK Laothamthas (泰国第二代客家人)

[复制链接]
发表于 2005-2-2 18:00:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Feb 2, 2005
I'm ready to lead the country: Anek

DR ANEK Laothamthas, a well-known political scientist at Thammasat University, is a second-generation Hakka Chinese. The former student activist was a member of the Communist Party of Thailand during the 1970s before he obtained his doctorate from Columbia University. He was the deputy leader and key drafter of Democrat Party policies before he broke away to form Mahachon last year.

Excerpts from an interview with Eunice Lau in Chiang Rai:

What is the problem with the Democrat Party?

The party is slow to respond to changes. It does not have positive ideas or policies to lead the country and deal with social changes, only rhetoric and tactics are changed under them. Their approach is to regard it as a matter of time that Thai Rak Thai will fall.

How did Thailand's oldest party become so out of sync with the people?

The problem is most of them are not politicians of social theory, but lawyers or career politicians from a young age who do not feel they are in need for concepts on how to anticipate changes.

More fundamentally, the weakness of Thai politics is the lack of accountability for failing an election. But I believe that after this election, Mr Banyat (Bantadtan) will step down and Abhisit (Vejjajiva) will take over. Abhisit is a good politician, critical but too theoretical.

You claim that Mahachon is welfare-oriented while Thai Rak Thai is populist. Yet both your parties are on the same platform of free education and health care for the poor. How do you distinguish yourself from Thai Rak Thai?

Our welfare policies are adapted from Europe while Thai Rak Thai draw their inspiration from Latin America. For example, we give free health care only to the poor but social security and free education for all, and this leads to greater social equality in the long run. But Thai Rak Thai's populist schemes such as 30-baht health care are unsustainable, and they are essentially a sophisticated form of patronage.

What makes you think your party can gain seats in Thai Rak Thai's stronghold?

During the first three years, Thai Rak Thai was doing quite well. But its mismanagement of the bird flu, the escalating violence in the South, increasing rural debt juxtaposing the increasing personal wealth of the Cabinet have caused its popularity to dip in the past year. As criticism from the intellectuals grows louder, the people are more aware that Thaksin's policies are ill-implemented. I believe we will see a backlash against Thai Rak Thai in this election.

Have you ever wondered what is Sanan and Vatana's intention in establishing a new party?

The same intentions as all career politicians' - gain power and position, and contribute something to the country in the process.

And you do not feel this compromises the integrity of your party that purports to be an alternative to the existing status quo?

The reality of politics is one should not be relying on the good intentions of politicians. What is more important is guarding against a monopoly of power. As long as they (career politicians) are willing to help us achieve this goal, we will accept it.

One of the main criticisms against the opposition is its inability to put forth a viable alternative candidate to Prime Minister Thaksin. How do you respond to that?

You are indeed right that this is a critical weakness, especially of the Democrats. Banyat has not indicated a challenge against Thaksin. Chat Thai's Banharn Silapa-archa is quite old at 73 to be prime minister again. Besides, the party is small and quite content to be part of government instead of leading it. Which is why I have come out to say that I will be prime minister if the opposition alliance wins enough seats to form the next government. I am ready to lead the country.

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/asia/story/0,5562,298929,00.html?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2005-2-2 23:35:17 | 显示全部楼层
还是泰相达信厉害。现在东南亚没那个政治人物的锋芒可以盖过他。
回复 点赞 拍砖

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 用户注册

本版积分规则

存档|手机版|返回页顶|客家风情——客家人·客家网 HakkaOnline.com

GMT+8, 2024-5-21 11:16