QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 5031|回复: 1

《用英文遊台灣》Hsinchu & Beipu

[复制链接]
发表于 2006-12-5 10:33:40 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
執筆/台科大應用外語系助理教授黃玟君

Robert: Wow, Hsinchu is very windy!

Taike: Right. It's known for its frequent strong monsoons and is therefore nicknamed the ”windy city.” Don't take the wind lightly─it is said that the strong wind has facilitated the making of the famous Hsinchu rice noodles and persimmon cakes!

Kitty: Gee, the wind is so strong that my delicate skin will be dried up and weathered before the rice noodles!

Taike: Don't be such a killjoy. Don't you like the snacks in front of the City God Temple The round dumpling with ground meat and the meatball soup go perfectly with each other!

Robert: Yes, they are a lot better than the Hakka cuisine we just had at Beipu. The dishes there were oily and salty. And the pork intestine with shredded ginger was so sour!

Taike: Hey, oily and salty stuff goes well with rice. And that way you don't have to prepare too many dishes and then be wasteful. Frugality is the traditional virtue of the Hakkanese. And don't you think the pickled vegetables, flat noodles, Hakka style stir-fry, and braised pork with preserved vegetables were delicious

Kitty: I also liked the old street area in Beipu, where cultural relics have been preserved intact.

Taike: Yeah. Beipu is representative of early Hakka culture. The nearby Lion's Head Mountain Scenic Area is also nice.

Robert: I didn't realize this region is full of culture! So should we stroll around the nearby alleys to experience the unique Hakka culture tonight

Kitty: You guys go ahead. As for me, I'm going to walk around the Hsinchu Science Park to see if I could run into a ”millionerd” there. If so, I might not have to work for the rest of my life, ha ha!!

新竹與北埔

羅波:哇,新竹的風真大!

邰克:嗯,新竹本來就以強勁的季風聞名,因此又稱「風城」。你可別小看這風喔,據說風的吹襲,使得這裡的名產新竹米粉和柿餅超級好吃呢!

高貴:哼,風這麼大,米粉還沒吹乾,我細嫩的肌膚都先風乾啦!

邰克:別這麼殺風景嘛,妳不覺得這城隍廟廣場的小吃很不錯嗎?肉圓和貢丸湯真是絕配!

羅波:嗯,比我們剛剛在北埔吃的客家菜好多了。那裡的菜又油又鹹,薑絲炒大腸又好酸喔。

邰克:喂,又油又鹹才下飯啊!這樣菜才不用煮太多浪費;節儉可是客家人的傳統美德耶。而且你不覺得醃菜、粄條、客家小炒、梅干扣肉很不賴嗎?

高貴:我也喜歡北埔的舊街區,那裡的客家文化古蹟保存得很完整。

邰克:嗯,北埔是早期客家文化的代表之一。那附近的獅頭山風景區也很不錯。

羅波:我沒想到這地方還這麼有文化!那我們今天晚上要不要去附近走走,體驗獨特的客家文化?

高貴:你們兩個去吧!我要去竹科附近逛逛,說不定能釣個呆呆科技新貴,這樣我下半生就不愁吃穿了,哈哈!

字彙Vocabulary

monsoon (n.) 季風

facilitate (v.) 促進;助長

persimmon (n.) 柿子

delicate (adj.) 纖細的;柔軟的

weather (v.) 曝曬;風化

killjoy (n.) 掃興的人或物;殺風景

intestine (n.) 腸子

shred (v.) 切成細條或碎片

wasteful (adj.) 浪費的

frugality (n.) 節儉

virtue (n.) 美德

pickle (v.) 醃漬(蔬菜等)

braise (v.) 燉煮

preserve (v.) 保存;醃製

relics (n.)(複數)遺跡

representative (adj.) 代表性的;象徵的

millionerd (n.)「百萬書蟲」(乃millionaire+nerd,意指身價不菲的科技人,隱含嘲笑其只知工作、念書,卻拙於社交之意)
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2006-12-5 14:51:53 | 显示全部楼层
单词部分不错。
回复 点赞 拍砖

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 用户注册

本版积分规则

存档|手机版|返回页顶|客家风情——客家人·客家网 HakkaOnline.com

GMT+8, 2024-6-16 09:10